I know some of you think I am completely crazy, but this has been so much fun...hunting down ancestors. Joe and I drove down to Tioga, PA today - about 30 minutes south of Corning. We wandered about town a bit and then started asking questions. I went into an official looking building - I am blanking right now on what it was called - and a nice woman named Michelle showed me an old map of Tioga and then called someone named Francis - at 80 he is the oldest resident of Tioga - when we couldn't find Mill St or the Sheas. Unfortunately he was not old enough to remember any of the Sheas. He was helpful in letting me know that some streets were missing from the old map in the area the Sheas probably lived. I know from the census that they lived on Mill Street, but apparently it now has another name. There was also a serious flood in the 1970s that destroyed many of the homes in the area they probably lived in. Francis also said there had been a lumber mill out that way. This is interesting because 2 of Patrick's sons moved to Tennessee where they did lumber and engineering work. I got pictures of the old Catholic church - now being made into apartments and of the 1875 map and of the area they may have lived in. We also went further south to Mansfield where we got a better picture of the old map in the Library there. A small but beautiful library that is 100 years old and nicely restored. We also had a great lunch at a local microbrewry - Yorkholo Brewing Company. While in Tioga I heard from Mary Kay with a great description of where great, great grandfather Patrick Shea, wife and three of their children were buried. So after dropping off a tired Joe at the hotel, I went out to the cemetery and took some pictures.
The stained glass windows from the church. Apparently if we'd come a week or so earlier, they would have still been intact in the church.
The Shea family monument. It was backlit due to time of day, so I'm going to try for a better shot tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment