Today we went to the capital. From the very beginning it was a wonderful trip. Fellow travelers from our hotel showed us how to buy Metro tickets as they have been here several days. As we waited for the Metro, a woman who recently retired from the military volunteered to take us along to our exit stop. Later we lost our city map and frequently asked strangers for assistance. Even those who did not speak English were willing to share. Joe unfortunately fell down due to all the construction going on and again a complete stranger helped him get up from the ground. People were friendly and patient and impressed. It was a very warm and humid day, but we found lots shade and a cool breeze made it tolerable. The Mall was impressive and I got to see the Vietnam War Memorial. The Vietnam War started in 1959 - two years after I was born and ended in 1975 - the year I graduated from high school. I can remember growing up with the nightly news giving us body counts. It was very touching to finally see the memorial. The best was spending lots of time in the Natural History Museum - free and air conditioned. No - the very best part was standing in line to buy a souvenir listening to a 4 year old have a complete meltdown and knowing that I no longer have to deal with such situations (not that a 20 year old and a 22 year old can't have a meltdown from time to time, but I can leave them at home now)
This diamond and Persian turquoise studded crown or "diadem" was part of the "parure" (pah-rur), or suite of royal jewelry that was a wedding gift from Napoleon to his bride Empress Marie-Louise. The crown originally contained emeralds instead of Persian turquoise.




No comments:
Post a Comment