Monday, July 18, 2011

Vacation time - Day 3 Glass, Glass and more Glass

Today we toured the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. We also stopped by the St. Mary's cemetery to see about finding the graves of my great-great grandparents. Some nice people (also finding relatives graves) gave us the name and phone number of the person to help me find the graves - Mary Kay. MK told me she had to do some searching and would get back to me.

I would highly recommend touring the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. They have an interesting history having made the reflecting mirror for the Palomar telescope in California and an incredible collection of old glass. Plus you can spend a little more and have the fun of working on a glass project yourself. I made glass flower and a glass bead (the flower was so much fun, I decided to do the bead too.) Funniest moment - when Joe asked a 13 year old girl who struck up a conversation with him where she was going to do next and she replied, "I don't know, I got dragged along on this vacation. I just wanted to stay home and finish reading my Harry Potter book." Most spontaneous moment - there were four teenagers on the shuttle bus, 2 boys with guitars and 2 girls. Joe asked if they took requests and the boys said yes. Joe said he'd suggest "Kumbaya" but everyone would hate him. Next thing we knew they were singing "Sweet Home Alabama" so we all sang along.

Now the big problem - how to choose the 6 or 7 really great photos from 364 taken!

Joe took this picture of me doing my glass flower. I get to pick it up tomorrow after it has been properly annealed

An example from the Western Art. I wish I could get rid of the reflections.

A glass Egyptian collar - very old and rare example of glass.

Holy water fonts

As I guessed, this modern glass art is called "City Scape"

The first reflecting mirror poured for the 200 inch Hale Telescope "While the glass was being poured into the mold during the first attempt to cast the 200-inch mirror, the intense heat caused several of the molding blocks to break loose and float to the top, ruining the mirror. " This was a huge and expensive failure, but they poured a second one and it worked. The honeycomb design was to keep the mirror from being to heavy.

Yes - a chess game made from shot glasses. No, I didn't buy it.

"Sweet Home Alabama"
Casey - doesn't the kid in the middle look like Jordan from your ACAA class?


No comments: