On our last full day in Ireland we drove from Killorglin back to Cork with a side trip to Cobh. In Cork we went to a pub recommended by Tommy (yes - Deni, this is where your son was hanging out in Cork) and then took a quick trip to Cobh also on Tommy recommendation. Both were well worth it. The Mutton Lane Inn had the best lunch I had while grabbing food in pubs, just an excellent ham and cheese sandwich, an interesting decor and a great mural outside. It is literally down an alley, so you do need to know where you are going. Cobh (pronounced Cove) is a short drive away and used to be called Queenstown where most emigrants heading for the USA left and the last port of call for the Titanic. There is a small museum there (also a renovated church) with copies of ships logs and an exhibit called "Yesterday's Child". The gentleman working there had excellent advice about hunting down ancestors. My mother's ancestors almost certainly left from here given it's proximity to county Kerry. I'm don't know about Dad's relatives. I'd love to go back and spend some more time exploring the town. We then dropped off the car and checked into the Park Inn literally right next to the airport so we could catch our 6 AM flight which we managed to do. As I am typing, Dad has arrived safely in LA but I am waiting for my delayed flight from New York to Cincinnati. I miss Ireland already but I am very ready to be home.
In the women's bathroom of The Mutton Lane Inn
The bartender on the right and a regular on the left
This separate back room is where women used to be segregated from the male customers
The mural on the wall of the alley outside the Inn
More of the mural on the wall of the alley outside the Inn
More of the mural on the wall of the alley outside the Inn
Rooftops of Cork
At museum in Cobh - how they tested the alcohol levels in whiskey before they had glass measures
Part of a model ship - see the little sailors?
Pretty stained glass windows
It is apparently back luck to look at the pilot's log when there is a tragedy, so the actual log of the Titanic's landing at Cobh was there but covered.
These houses are still there in Cobh and very colorful when seen in person
I was of course fascinated by the baby bottles
And the pharmacueticals
and the Irish Cannon
Not sure what the large thing was on the dock there.
















No comments:
Post a Comment