Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trip to LA - land of the freeways


Fly by Shooting as we landed at LAX - a variation on Drive by Shootings.

I flew in to LA to attend the 21st Annual Occupational Science Symposium. While I haven't attended all of them, I did attend the first one and many in the intervening years. Plus it was a great opportunity to have Wyatt cut my hair (Casey was joking about my $300 dollar hair cut), visit with Dad and John Chang, see the women of the Improv and help with an early celebration of Dad's 80th birthday. The next pic is of the Center for Occupation and Lifestyle Redesign. A beautiful and remodeled old home in downtown LA owned by USC and used by the OT/OS program for meetings and classes and receptions. We attended one such reception there after the conference.


On Saturday the women of the Improv had a wonderful time touring the Norton Simon Museum. I loved seeing these kids having fun in the lily pond. When Joe and I took our kids at a slightly younger age, they got kicked out of the museum for what I can't remember and then got yelled at for running around on the lawn. They do have beautiful artwork though.

Here's the Improv having quite a discussion in the Museum for which we were followed and eyed with suspicion until we left. It probably didn't help that the first thing Doris did was touch one of the sculputures on the lawn in front of the museum. After the museum we ate at Thai restaraunt - a challenge for me with my diabetes, allergy for coconut and general dislike of seafood. But I had a chicken and noodle dish that was quite tasty. Afterwards we went to Bonnie's house, drank wine, ate cheese and Bourbon balls from Kentucky and generally had some good laughs.

Today I went to do some picture taking and ran across these three guys. They were making quite a ruckus and as you can see, clearly believe they own the neighborhood. In case you didn't know, peacocks run wild in Palos Verdes, set loose many decades ago by careless owners who brought them to the area. Beautiful to look at, horrid to listen to.


No comments: