Thursday, March 12, 2009

Only in Kentucky (well any Southern state)

I was needing to kill some time in Lexington, so I went to the cemetery again to takes some pictures - yes, I love cemeteries, my daughter says I'm morbid, but there is some wonderful art in cemeteries. Anyway, as I drove in, I immediately noticed what looked like a re-enactment going on. Here in the south, people are very into doing re-enactments of the civil war. I began to realize that it was actually a real funeral of a person who probably participated in re-enactments. The casket was carried to the burial site in a beautiful antique horse drawn hearse. Both the Confederacy and the Union were represented in an odd mix along with modern dressed mourners.

Notice the woman on the left with her split color dress representing both the Confederacy and the Union. Many families in Kentucky were divided by the Civil War, some fighting for the South, some fighting for the North. On the right was the woman who played the bagpipes (not sure how/ if that fits in with the re-enactments).


Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln

The horse drawn hearse.


I loved this woman's skirt.


His horse and boots.


The honor guard.


The mourners and the priest.

No comments: