Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dad or PaPa or Grandpa or Grampa Tommy

I'm heading out to California for a brief visit to see my girl friends from my old support group, the Women's Improv. When our kids were little we used to get together once a month sans kids and husbands and significant others. While talking to Deni to arrange getting a pick up/drop off from LAX, I was bemoaning the fact that Dad will be visiting Pritam in Portland while I am in LA. A great part of the fun in Seattle was spending quality time with Dad. He is generally taking the pictures rather than being in the pictures, so I decided to post some of my favorites of him from our Christmas trip. As you can see, Dad is really enjoying being a grandfather.

Grandpa Tommy admiring one of Ember's Christmas gifts or toys - something small and pink.

Every morning for all of my life that I can remember Dad reading the newspaper. If I recall the story correctly, when Mom and Dad got married, he was inclined to read during all meals. This was not okay with Mom, so the agreement was that Dad could read the paper during breakfast if he didn't read at other meals. (Dad can let me know the correctness of that story). So every morning at Chris' he walks to the Grateful Bread or the Top Pot for a doughnut and then he stops and gets a newspaper.

Enjoying the kids at the Seattle Central Library. As a kid, I remember Dad taking us on educational outings to museums and tide pools and the such. It was always fun and I don't think I really understood the educational part until I was much older.

Holding Ember Jane's hand and a newspaper on the walk back from the Grateful Bread.

Examining a landing wheel at the Boeing Museum. As you all probably know, Dad was a pilot during the Korean War. He studied engineering in college intending to design airplanes. Instead he designed guided missles and probably other stuff. His job was most always "top secret" and not really discussed at home. Although I can remember going out to the backyard to look at vapor trails in the sky from one of Dad's missles and getting t-shirts from Kwajalein Island.

Taking pictures at the Wilderness Park while the grandgirls check out the rocks or water or ducks or all three. I guess Chris and Ed and I all get our love of taking photos from Dad.

Paying for donuts and coffee with Yogi.

Enjoying a warm cup of coffee on a cold morning. Ember is having fun too.

No comments: