Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beaches and Tea Houses

Friday morning I started out at the beach. I mistakenly thought the sand would be warm enough to go sans shoes - not so. It may not have been snowing, but it was definitely cold. There is a large pod of dolphins that hangs out off of Torrance Beach and they can often be seen near the surfers, even surfing themselves. I was not disappointed, except that I don't have a good enough long distance lens to get a really good pic. That is a dolphin in the middle of the above photo and a couple of more to the right side. After the beach and a quick shower, I headed off to the Huntington Library and Gardens. Another beautiful day and well worth the drive. The camellias were in full bloom and the Bonsai tree exhibit impressive. The last time I was at the Huntington Library and Gardens was about 16 years ago on Mother's Day. I was there with the Improv ladies and our daughters and we had high tea at the Tea Room. Infamously, Casey later fell into one of the lily ponds trying to pet the koi. She was rescued by Doris' daughter Celeste who must have been all of 8 years old (to Casey's 4 y.o.). So Doris and her best friend Judy and I met up and had high tea at the Tea Room which was delightful. Their special was Rose Tea which smelled as good as it tasted. Hot, fresh scones and quite a buffet of sandwiches, salads, fruit and desserts.

Arty photo

In addition to the dolphins the pelicans seemed to enjoy dive bombing the surfers and cruising over the waves. Even this surfer seemed impressed by the seven plus pelicans whizzing by.

The Bonsai exhibit was impressive at the Huntington Gardens.

One of the many colors and styles of camellias.

Pretty bridge in the Japanese Gardens. I overheard a little boy asking his mom why he couldn't climb on it.

A selection of desserts and fruits at the Tea House.

No comments: