Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Biltmore Estate

Half of the tulip garden with the conservatory in the background.

The windows that run along the spiral staircase.

Sunday morning we had already planned to go to the Biltmore Estate in the morning and then after lunch I headed back to Kentucky. Of course it rained and rained and rained that day, but it worked out. First we toured the house, no pictures allowed inside! Demelza was quite tolerant of this boring adult activity. Dawn and I marveled at the furniture, the restored wallpaper and how nice the even the servants rooms were. There are 47 bathrooms in this 4 story house (plus a full basement) at a time when many people still had outhouses. The windows in the above picture follow the grand, spiral staircase that go up three of the stories. Then Dawn and Demelza went shopping and I went and took pictures of flowers. That was tricky for the outside pictures due to the rain, but I did have my umbrella and a camera cloth to wipe my lens dry. Plus they have a beautiful conservatory with lots more flowers and plants. I have greatly restrained myself in only putting these few pictures on my blog. After returning the "D"s to the hotel, I headed home. Dawn and Demelza flew out of Ashville Monday so I wouldn't have to drive them to Louisville after driving to and from Ashville. We had a great visit all around and I miss them.

I love the lions out in front of the house.

You get the idea it was a wet day. They had lovely expanses of lawn out front.

This was an arty photo inside the conservatory.

The tulips were simply amazing.

No comments: