Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice storms and Diabetes - Type I



So we woke up this morning to a frozen world. Not surprisingly, school was canceled for the day (maybe tomorrow too!) and our yard was full of firewood for the next few months. A squirrel managed to figure out how to get to the bird feeder and wiped it out quickly. He was pretty cute though. Periodically we hear a loud cracking noise and yet more firewood lands in our yard - it seems a little dangerous out there.

Then I got the phone call. When I went to the endocrinologist last week, he felt after hearing the history of my diabetes onset that I might actually have Type I diabetes instead of Type II diabetes. So ever the medical weirdo, I am one of the lucky few with late onset of Type I diabetes - yes, at 50 I developed 'juvenile diabetes'. Well, you can see why it's not called that any more. This means back to square one in figuring out how to live with this and how to control my blood sugars. I can't take the oral medications anymore because in Type I diabetics they can cause a potentially fatal condition called diabetic ketoacidosis. So now I have to switch to injections of short acting insulin when I eat meals. Well, I guess life is never boring...




No comments: