Over a year ago I was approached to co-teach the Honors Diversity class taught each spring that starts with a week in a different city with a different focus each year. This year's title is "Disability, The City & Aesthetics/New York City" The idea developed over two years ago when we had a guest lecture at EKU, Rick Guidotti, a former high fashion model who now runs Positive Exposure. This is a link to his TED talk... http://www.ted.com/talks/rick_guidotti_from_stigma_to_supermodel
Melissa Vandenberg, an art professor at EKU whom Shea and I have both had for classes, was the other professor. This is a link to her website about Melissa's art http://www.melissavandenberg.com/
On Monday, January 11th she and I took off for New York with 17 students and one student teacher for a week of experiencing the Big Apple from a disability and art perspective. Monday was mostly getting to NYC, settling and exploring a bit. I had not been in NYC since before 9/11, so I wanted to go see the Memorial and then headed to the Empire State Building before collapsing for the night.
Gathering our ducklings at the airport
It was actually snowing in Kentucky as we left for NYC
Waiting for the bus to take us to the Subway
Saw this view way too many times during our week in NYC
The courtyard at the Chelsea International Hostel where we stayed.
First thing after shepherding the students to the Hostel, Melissa and I went in search of something hot to drink.
One of the fountains at the 9/11 Memorial. The second fountain was turned off due to wind.
A girder from the buildings that came down in the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
Art in the Subway. I could probably spend a whole week just taking pictures of the subway art.
Police station in the middle of Time Square
As we headed out to NY we heard the news that David Bowie had died.
Top of the Empire State Building in the background
The Chrysler Building from the top of the Empire State Building
NYC














No comments:
Post a Comment