Shortly before moving to Kentucky I got an interesting phone from a woman doing a ancestry on her daughter's soon to be father in law (I think that was the story). His last name was Shea and he lived in Knoxville, TN. She had traced Bill Pickett and he referred her to me. Since moving to Kentucky I have renewed my efforts to search out family history. You have probably seen my dad's blogging regarding my mother's family. Mom's great grandfather, Patrick Shea, emigrated from Ireland with his wife Ellen (Eager) Shea. Their oldest son was Jerry Shea. So my great grandfather Jerry Shea had two surviving brothers who apparently moved to Knoxville - John Fenton Shea and James Thomas Shea. I found their graves at the Calvary Catholic Cemetery in Knoxville and went to visit today and take pictures. My children think I'm a little weird, but I found it to be fascinating. It confirmed that I had found the correct John and James in subsequent US Census records. Plus it is a beautiful time of year to go to Tennessee - the red buds (actually they are purple) and the dogwoods are in full bloom. We had other fun in Knoxville, but that's for another blog.

1 comment:
Hi there! I just stumbled upon ur blog when googling John F. Shea.....I think we mite be related......John F is my great grandfather... :)
If u see this comment (not sure if older posts still allow comments?).....& if u would like....shoot me an email at nourishwakedo@gmail.com :)
Post a Comment